Introduction

I love going to movies and I always eat swedish fish candy while there. The two seem to go well together!

I have created this blog out of request from my friends and family. Many people know I see at least one movie a week and will ask me for a recommendation. This blog will be my "average Joe movie goer" thoughts on movies I have seen.

I usually go to the movies by myself. I love the experience of getting my refreshments(including swedish fish), finding my favorite place to sit, and just sitting back and getting lost in the action.

From time-to-time, I do take one of my kids or my wife. Where applicable, I will add their comments in my movie blogs.

I hope you find my reviews helpful as you are trying to pick your next movie experience

Saturday, December 6, 2008


Australia

This is a “Big Screen” movie. You really only get the full effects and beauty of the Australian landscape when seen in the theater. From that regard, it reminded me of the movie “Out of Africa (1985). Nicole Kidman did a fabulous job. This was the first time I realized she is one of the great actresses of our time. I believe when we look back on this period we will think of Nicole Kidman as we think of Elizabeth Taylor, Joan Crawford, and Bette Davis from years ago. I also liked many of the other supporting actors in the movie. Nichole’s aborigine “son”( Brandon Walters) was played by a 8 year boy who also narrated the movie. He was very believable and true to his local native character. Another very likeable character is the alcoholic accountant. He is played by Jack Thompson, a popular Australian actor. Max’s character starts the movie as a fall down drunk but ends as one of the heroes in the movie. I also like movies where, in addition to being entertained, I learn something new. I was not aware of how badly the Aborigines were treated in the early 1940s by the “white” Australians. It reminded me of how Native Americans were treated in the United States. I also learned that Australia was directly in the path of the bombing Japanese war planes that had just came from Pearl Harbor. This movie is appropriate for all ages (although there is one love scene you might want to not share with your young kids). However, with all of the special effects movies out today, your teen age kids may get a little bored. So my advice would be to leave the kids at home and make it a “date movie”.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The alcholic accountant is played actually by 'Jack Thompson', 'Max Cullen' plays the drunk in the bar who has a line something like "she just drove a mob of cattle across the never-never, she deserves a drink like any man". Both are popular aussie actors, Jack being more of a 1970's blond macho sex symbol whilst Max is know for his charater roles in Australian movies, TV and theatre and also for similar work in the UK... from Aussie guy in Sweden who knows them both :)

John said...

Thank you for the correction. I have made the change to my blog entry