Introduction

I love going to movies and I always eat swedish fish candy while there. The two seem to go well together!

I have created this blog out of request from my friends and family. Many people know I see at least one movie a week and will ask me for a recommendation. This blog will be my "average Joe movie goer" thoughts on movies I have seen.

I usually go to the movies by myself. I love the experience of getting my refreshments(including swedish fish), finding my favorite place to sit, and just sitting back and getting lost in the action.

From time-to-time, I do take one of my kids or my wife. Where applicable, I will add their comments in my movie blogs.

I hope you find my reviews helpful as you are trying to pick your next movie experience

Saturday, December 13, 2008



Nothing Like the Holidays


Many cultures have their unique holiday traditions. This movie gives us a view into the lives of one Puerto Rican family from West Chicago during a Christmas gathering. We get to see the Puerto Rican version of a White Christmas. I really liked the honesty of this movie. Although the setting was “Home for the Holidays”, it is anything like the Perry Como version. Life is messy and this movie explores how real people deal with it (or not deal with it). One of the characters is played by Luis Guzmán(you might remember him in “The Count of Monte Cristo” 2002). His portrayal of a macho Puerto Rican guy is hilarious! Debra Messing plays the pasty white wife of one of the sons. Her character’s effort to fit-in makes for some very entertaining scenes but is genuine. If you are looking for a movie with an ending that ties everything together in a nice bow you won’t like this one. If you are looking for a holiday movie that plays to real life issues this movie could be one you add to your holiday collection.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

John I liked this review. I think another good holiday tradition movie is National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. Cousin Eddie Johnson (Randy Quaid) was one of the best Christmas holiday characters.