Introduction

I love going to movies and I always eat swedish fish candy while there. The two seem to go well together!

I have created this blog out of request from my friends and family. Many people know I see at least one movie a week and will ask me for a recommendation. This blog will be my "average Joe movie goer" thoughts on movies I have seen.

I usually go to the movies by myself. I love the experience of getting my refreshments(including swedish fish), finding my favorite place to sit, and just sitting back and getting lost in the action.

From time-to-time, I do take one of my kids or my wife. Where applicable, I will add their comments in my movie blogs.

I hope you find my reviews helpful as you are trying to pick your next movie experience

Monday, December 22, 2008


Seven Pounds

Because this was a Will Smith movie, I had very high expectations. I had been noticing the trailer for Seven Pounds for a couple of weeks and was anxious to see it. Trailers are often very cryptic and only share enough to get you in the theater. Unfortunately, three quarters of the way through the movie, I still had no clue where the movie was taking me. Just when I thought a scene was going to help me connect the dots, I would just end up with more “points to ponder”. By the time the ending was revealed, I had felt a little like someone had taken off my blindfold. In contrast, my eighteen year old son loved it. He was ok with the confusing story line and was very touched by the ending. I did enjoy one of the movie’s minor characters. Joe Nunez plays a motel owner with some very funny dialog with Will Smith. If you are ok with a movie taking you on an unknown journey, you might like this movie. If you are a Will Smith fan and like to understand the story line along the way, wait for his next super hero movie (i.e. Independence Day or I, Robot). I am sure he has one in the works

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

love the insight, John! sounds better than the last Will Smith movie I saw - I am "something" - and will definitely see it. and will wait anxiously for the next Independence Day type flick that we all truly do love of his...

Scott R. Kline said...

Maybe because everyone said it was so confusing, I tried really hard to figure it out from the start. I felt like I knew what was happening about one third of the way through the movie, just not why. I could only count 6 people he helped, not seven. Unless you count the old lady in the nursing home.