Introduction

I love going to movies and I always eat swedish fish candy while there. The two seem to go well together!

I have created this blog out of request from my friends and family. Many people know I see at least one movie a week and will ask me for a recommendation. This blog will be my "average Joe movie goer" thoughts on movies I have seen.

I usually go to the movies by myself. I love the experience of getting my refreshments(including swedish fish), finding my favorite place to sit, and just sitting back and getting lost in the action.

From time-to-time, I do take one of my kids or my wife. Where applicable, I will add their comments in my movie blogs.

I hope you find my reviews helpful as you are trying to pick your next movie experience

Tuesday, December 30, 2008





Gran Torino

I have been a big fan of Clint Eastwood from the Spaghetti Western(i.e. High Plains Difter) and the Dirty Harry days. He embodies all of the attributes of a strong male leading actor. As he has gotten older, he has focused more on the Directing and Producing side of the film industry. In Gran Torino he does all three!
The movie opens with a glimpse into the life of Walt Kowalski(Clint). As he reviews his relationships and experiences, over the years, he has mixed feelings. Ultimately, he comes to terms with what he has accomplished after his Hmong(Asian ethnic group in the mountainous regions of southeast Asia) neighbors become his very unlikely friends. I especial like the Hmong teenager Sue Lor. She is played by newcomer Ahney Her. She not only exposes us to the traditional Hmong culture but also to the integration challenges of any non-American culture in the US. To add to these challenges, Sue’s younger brother (Thao played by Bee Vang)is being recruited by the local Hmong street gang. To keep Thao away from the gang life, Walt shows him what he means to be a real man and it leads to some very funny dialog. The movie pulls no punches with the racial slurs used by Walt. This movie is not appropriate for younger viewers and the powerful ending has lots of religious overtones.

No comments: